I LOVE this manicure! I once did something similar while painting my house. I used a matte finish and a glossy paint finish to do stripes. It worked! Why not apply the same to your nails? One of the reasons I like it so much is because it’s subtle.. not over the top like so many manicures these days, are! SO cute! check it out –
photos/post/design: Kristin Ess
It seems pastels and pops of color are the norm around here, but today we’re changing it up! Sometimes you just want a super chic black mani. I happen to love black more than any other color so this one’s for my girls who like to live on the dark side. Here we go:
- Paint your entire nail with black polish. We used THIS ONE as it was the richest + darkest of all the ones we tried.
- Next paint a matte topcoat over all of the nails. We had the best luck with THIS ONE. It went on super smooth and dried very matte, very quickly.
- Next, just for fun we did an accent nail with stripes. Cute 1/4″ strips of tape and lay them across the nail.
- Use your original shiny black polish to coat over the strips of tape. Let that dry while you do the next step.
- Make a little puddle of the shiny black polish and use your dotting tool to make different sized dots on the other nails. They’ll kind of end up looking like rain drops.
- When you’re finished with your dots, peel back the tape strips on your accent nail to reveal the matte stripes. Then clean up the edges.
From The Beauty Department Blog